Sunday, November 5, 2017

What inspired me to become an exchange student

I have already begun to tell the story of my exchange program, but I've forgotten to include what's critical - an introduction. How did I become an exchange student? What were the reasons I decided to go? What opportunities did I see and what obstacles did I meet?

For nine years of my schooling, I hadn't even heard of such a thing as an exchange program; or if I had, I don't really remember it. It was nothing I would get interested in, it was nothing I would have ever taken seriously into consideration.
Not unless I went to high school. One day at the beginning of the school year, something pushed me to take a look into my class' gradebook. (We still used paper gradebook back in the day. Now it is entirely replaced by the on-line version). Curious, I took a peek into the class' roll. There was a name of a girl who never showed up at school, yet who was registered as one of our students. Right by her name there was a note: "Trip to the USA."
Intrigued, I searched and read a few blogs and websites concerning exchange programs. But it's my mom who I need to give credit to, for it was her who had initially got into the thing much more than I had. She did a research and ignited such a thought in my head: "Why wouldn't it be something for me?"
The "Why not" thought, inspired at that time, has nagged me ever since. I constantly repeat that it's my time in the States that taught me most, but obviously there had already been that thing about me that inspired me to go in the first place. 
See, the biggest and most important decisions are not made instantly, just like the big dreams do not appear suddenly, nor do they immediately come true. A popular saying states that the limits exist only in our heads is true, but only if you're patient enough and convinced of what you endeavor to. A lot of events in my life, the exchange program being one of them, had initially sounded like abstract, something that is not to be reached. But having given myself some time to get used to the idea and a lot of time to think it through, I managed to reach a point when I realized it is doable. It will require a lot of time spent on research and a lot of sacrifices from me and my family, but I can experience a wonderful time that will surely have an impact in my personality and mentality, an adventure that will stick with me for the rest of my life.

What were my prospects? First of all, I'd really got into learning English and I thought of an exchange program as a perfect opportunity to master it to a point when I would treat it and use it as if it was my first language.
The second thing was, I've heard a lot of positive views on Americans in general, particularly about their mentality propagating happiness and motivational thinking, and I hoped I could learn a lot from such people.
I can't say I'd been much into travelling at that time, but I felt it would be a life-changing and horizon-widening experience to spend nearly a near abroad. I'd known from the very beginning that leaving everything I know, including family, friends, and places, is not going to be easy, but I'd also been aware that nothing significant and profitable can be accomplished when following what's easy.
Looking from the more personal perspective, bearing the prospect of my dream job in mind I'd thought of an exchange program as a chance to shape personal skills and abilities, such as self-responsibility, self-awareness, self-reliance, a general responsibility, decision-making, encountering people, or finding my way under totally strange circumstances, to list a few.

It took literally months before I decided that I want to find out more. I got hold of a couple of travel offices here in Poland that organize exchange programs and asked them about whatever I could think of. I made notes. I later compared all the offers in terms of costs, regulations, requirements, and opportunities. Hence I picked the company that worked best for me.
The first grade of my high school (the 10th grade) passed, and once the next one started, I begun to work on the application process. First step was an English test which job was to determine whether I can apply at all, for it was the most crucial requirement. I passed with a good score and was allowed to move on. The application itself consisted of collecting school certificates, outside-school achievement diplomas, recommendation notes from my teachers, doing medical examination, or writing personal letters to my future host family. Since some appointments needed to be scheduled, and some missing documents to be delivered, it took another couple months to finally close the application in the middle of the second grade of high school; this was about the time when the deadline was set by the company. Winter and spring time was most teasing, for it was the time of awaiting to get a placement in the U.S.

During the application process I could select a region I would prefer to be placed in. The choice was extra paid and didn't even guarantee that I will be placed exactly there, plus one region included couple states. Out of all places in the U.S., the area of Seattle was what I really wanted to see, but since my almost-a-classmate went there, I thought that the chances are small. I didn't pick the region, for I thought that I will rely in the fate. I didn't know anything about the United States, I had never been there before, so wherever I would be placed at, I would get to taste the American lifestyle anyway.

In March or April, I got the placement confirmation. I was speechless to find out I was placed in the central part of Washington State, only a hundred miles away from Seattle. I believe in the fate, and I believe that it was the place dedicated for me.
That was the end of the beginning, so to speak. Instead of keeping in touch with the company, now I made contact with my future host family and with them I consulted all the decisions to follow, such as when and where to arrive or what to take with me.



Before I left for the exchange program, I made sure to say farewell to my family and friends. In June, on the last day of school, I stood in front of my class to announce I'm officially parting with them. That day was only a little bit emotional as I knew I will come back to the school in a year (though to join new class and have new teachers). However, I was so happy that, one, I've recently discovered my life calling and, two, I'm just about to experience an adventure of a lifetime, that I needed to bestow fellow classmates with some motivational words.
I've always been uncomfortable with public speaking, but I was so confident and inspired at that moment that it was no longer an obstacle. I stood there, staring in my friends' eyes, telling them to follow their dreams. I pointed out that some of them might have already found their calling, the others might have not, but that they shall follow what they love and not settle. What I felt most rewarded by was one guy's understanding, a little bit pensive nodding. This guy, an aspiring writer, has recently published his first book.

The remaining weeks were pretty hard, for I was simply awaiting and preparing to leave Poland. I felt bad about the prospect of leaving my friends, which was in fact the only thing making me reluctant to go. But I reminded myself that sooner or later I would face it anyway, simply when graduating. 
I was there, visiting people, wondering with a hint of fear who will keep in touch with me despite the distance and separation; who will prove to be real friends. 

I'd been thinking of the exchange program, which I was yet to begin, as of the time of the truth. I was to leave my comfort zone and learn my strengths and weaknesses. I was to survive among strangers with no closest family and friends to help me out. I was to undergo some really difficult times in order to learn to overcome them and become stronger. An exchange program in my eyes was much more of the life-lesson rather than a travelling and academic opportunity.
And that was the main reason I decided to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment