Sunday, November 19, 2017

6. America and Americans

[August 2015]

I feel free.
Everything is new, and nothing from what I do, feel, see, hear, eat, read, or watch, would I associate with home. I'm the same person who has suddenly found everything around new. I have found myself new.


Certain sights, sounds, and sensations will be always associated with the fall of 2015. Listening to the country music which I've expected myself to hate, and which I actually had enough of at some point, but which I also learned to love after a few weeks. The sight of brown hills surrounding entire Yakima Valley and its lack of green. The sounds of water sprinklers and the animals raised on our farm, including sheep and chickens. The smell of a book I bought at the airport in Seattle. The taste of chicken burrito from Taco Bell and of Hot Pockets, my first favorite American snacks. Sound of a microwave which we never use at home and which is a normal thing in the States. Even the unfortunate smell of the litter box used by four cats living in our house.


Even before I start school, I'm taken to Pacific Coast. I can step into the Ocean, only to realize that I have reached the end of the world, from a certain point of view. I spend couple days in a cabin by Columbia River, the cabin itself located on an elevation, watching a picturesque landscape every morning.

As for the life in Washington State in general, I soon discover what Seahawks is. My host dad, fancier of all kinds of sports, explains that it is one of NFL football teams, the one that represents Washington State, with a headquarters in Seattle. When passing houses and even public places in Yakima Valley and outside it, I can see that people indeed are fond about it. Banners of either a hawk's head or a '12' often hand right under the American flag, a lot of cars have bumper stickers with the same motives, and a lot of people wear clothes resembling of the football players' outfits.
My host dad will later be giving me a bad time, often mocking me by saying, 'What the heck is Seahawks?'
I'm happy to give him a word or two about Polish sports in exchange, like what sports is our country famous for or what is our most important national game. I say it's soccer (this time I'm aware of the different between 'football', which means a different sport in the U.S. and Europe, and 'soccer') and, at a lesser range, handball, volleyball, or basketball.

I discover most popular stores in the U.S., such as Walmart, Target, or Safeway. Well, so far I've only heard of Walmart, but the others seem to be just as big chain markets. What I also enjoy are Best Buy or ToysRUs (which we too have in Poland, but which are much bigger here), and Arby's and Taco Bell when it comes to food places.

Of course, I also meet people. Life is pretty easy for an exchange student, for all Americans are truly curious about everything that has to do with them, and at the same time they remain extremely forgiving for any defects of the language. In fact, even though I operate with a language which is way poorer than theirs, their expectations must be really low, for they still praise me for having a very good English.
It is important to remain open and freely talk about oneself, and this is what I remember about. One day I sit with six or so cousins of my host family at the local golf course. Their curiosity and enthusiasm, visible at every step, encourage to make the best use of my language skills. I tell them a lot about Poland in general, about what people there are like, what schooling looks like, what my hobbies are, what my family does for a living etc. Everyone stares at me, listening to what I say with the most sincere attention. And they react with 'wow-s', 'that's so cool-s', 'awesome-s' and so on. With such active listeners I am eager to say more and more.
But I also listen to what they talk about. They talk of their families and friends, about their jobs, holiday plans. Not a single time during this an hour-long talk do I hear a word of complaining, which I have unfortunately come used to. I wonder how sincere it is. Are Americans indeed so positive and always seek for the bright sides of life? Or is it that they avoid complaining and provoking controversial topics while in a company?
To be honest, I don't care about it at this point. It's so pleasing and relaxing to spend my time among such people. And I savor that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment